Psalm 22:14 : I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast...you lay me in the dust of death.
Luke 23:33 : When they came to the place that is called The Skull, they crucified Jesus there with the criminals.
Three years have I toiled in the dust and the heat of this land.
Thirty-three years of walking amongst this beloved and recalcitrant race:
Now there is nothing left to do
but endure, and count down the moments
until I rest my head and body in death.
I, who held newborn stars in the palm of my hand
and trod the galaxies in my pursuit of beauty;
I now stretch out my arms to receive the blows of metal on metal, driven
through my very flesh. I surrender
my hands, my feet, to a different pursuit; they are no longer mine to control
but are abandoned to the whim of evil.
My flesh is not my own; it belongs to this place now,
given over to the pain and degradation of punishment,
keeping company with those despised or forgotten by polite society.
I will be raised up
stretching wide my arms to embrace even this -

Comments

Popular Posts